Who knew cucumbers were the key ingredient to a moist, hearty, delicious dessert bread?
I bake with einkorn flour (ancient, unadulterated wheat). However, you can make this cucumber bread with regular wheat or gluten-free flours. See options at end of this post.
Ever wonder why they call these sweet, scrumptious fruit and veggie concoctions “bread”. Aren’t they more like cake? We even frost them! Whatever their label, they are a delicious, nutritious way to use up a garden load of veggies or a tree load of fruit. Speaking of which – this would likely bake up equally delicious by substituting raw apple for the veggie. Or green tomatoes? – just joking on that one. Although come to think of it…I’m game for any plausible excuse to experiment.
On with the recipe!
Einkorn Cucumber Bread
Cucumber and zucchini are related and either can be used in this recipe. Peel and grate (or puree) the cucumber as you would zucchini. (Remove seeds from zucchini, but this is not necessary if pureeing cucumber unless seeds are tough.)
- 2 cups prepared cucumbers (peeled & seeded. Grating is unnecessary if you use a blender)
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 3 eggs
- 2 cups einkorn flour
- 1/4 cup finely-ground flax meal
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 3 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- (Optional) 1 cup chopped nuts and/or raisins
- The easiest method is to puree the prepared cucumber with oil in a blender.
- Add sugar and vanilla and blend well. (If you have no blender, you can grate the cucumber and mix these ingredients in a bowl).
- Beat eggs in a large bowl.
- Stir in the cucumber, oil, sugar, and vanilla mixture.
- Add flour, flax meal, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt. Mix well.
- Add nuts and/or raisins if desired.
- Pour into 2 greased loaf pans.
- Bake at 350 degrees F. for 1 hour. Start checking it at 50 minutes because oven temps aren’t always set correctly.
- When toothpick inserted in the center of the bread pulls out clean, remove from oven, set on cooling rack, cool 10 minutes and then remove from pans.
- Consider this a dessert bread. Slice when warm and serve as is or spread with melting butter. You can slice it and freeze. Remove individual slices to thaw or toast as desired.
Wheat and Gluten-Free Flour Substitution
Einkorn is low in gluten, thus requires a binder to hold ingredients. If using regular wheat flour which has gluten, omit the flax meal. If using gluten-free flour, omit the flax meal if a binder such as agar-agar or xanthan gum is already included. If not, you’ll need to add one of those or the flax meal.
A Word about Einkorn Flour
When I learned of inflammation and allergies caused by today’s wheat, I discovered einkorn flour. I substitute it into almost any recipe asking for regular wheat flour, and add 2 Tablespoons of finely-ground flax meal per cup of flour to compensate for the lack of sufficient gluten. The end result is a hearty texture that will rise, but not as dramatically as with regular wheat. People frequently ask me “what did you do to get this texture and flavor?” and the answer is the einkorn flour and flax meal combination. Interested? Check out the posts listed here – most of my einkorn recipes can also be made with regular wheat or gluten-free flours. I purchase my einkorn flour from Jovial Foods, who also offer gluten-free flour mixes.
Einkorn Recipes and Information
Hints for Baking with Einkorn Flour Easy Einkorn Soda Bread Vegan Einkorn Oatmeal Breadmaker Bread Easy Einkorn Yellow Cake Wacky Vegan Chocolate Cake with Einkorn Flour (a real hit – absolutely the most moist and delicious chocolate cake ever invented!)
Does my baking always turn out perfectly? Uh…..nope. Here’s proof…
Always be ready to try something different! There are new discoveries waiting for you.
“Take life into your own hands and make it happen. It’s your life; Lead it!”
Follow this Cosmic Gathering blog to automatically receive future posts! (click on the blue in the right-hand column on this page)
Ellie’s Latest Book: PATHWALKER (see side bar —–>)
Review: … This is the BEST non-fiction book I have read in years. I could not put it down! The story is super engaging, Eleni, the main character, is so wise and inspiring. The story of a community based on deep respect, for the earth, for nature, and for each other, gives me hope in these times of corruption, chaos and extreme unrest… more reviews
Ellie Note: Any ads inserted below this article are advertisements selected by WordPress to support their free blogs, which I fully appreciate. The ads do not necessarily represent me or my works.