If you enjoy baking but want to avoid the inflammation and other side effects caused by modern wheat flour, try baking with the original wheat flour – Einkorn wheat! Here’s an easy recipe to get you started.
Einkorn Soda Bread
* 3 cups Einkorn* flour
* 1/3 cup white sugar (optional if sweet bread is desired)
* 1 teaspoon baking soda
* 1 Tablespoon (yes!) baking powder
* 1 teaspoon salt
* 3 Tablespoons finely ground flax seed
* 1 egg, beaten
* 1.5 cups buttermilk (To make your own, place 1.5 Tablespoons vinegar in a measuring cup, add milk to total 1.5 cups. You can use almond, coconut or other alternative milks.)
* 1/4 cup butter, melted
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C). Grease a 9×5 inch loaf pan.
2. Melt butter and set aside.
3. Combine and blend flour, sugar (if desired), baking soda, baking powder, salt, and flax seed.
4. Blend egg and buttermilk together, and add all at once to the flour mixture. Mix just until moistened.
5. Stir in melted butter.
6. Pour into prepared pan and let sit for 10 minutes. (This allows the moisture to combine better with the flour.)
7. Bake for 35-45 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the bread comes out clean.
8. Cool on a wire rack and then wrap to keep fresh.
*Einkorn has less gluten so flax meal helps it hold together. If you substitute Gluten-Free flour, add 1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum (unless your GF flour already includes it), and increase buttermilk to 2 cups. If substituting regular wheat flour, omit flax meal and increase buttermilk to 2 cups. Baking time and results may vary.
If you want a good laugh, read my “Gottcha” blog about one of my adventures making this bread!
Want support on your life journey? Ellie is available for personal and spiritual mentoring. She assists you to clear the unwanted, connect with higher levels of consciousness, intuitive readings, resolve stuck circumstances, surmount obstacles, shift and stabilize your view of life into a positive zone, connect with your Divine nature, and become the valued Being you came to be.
Clients experience no judgment, only new clarity and empowerment! For more information: http://www.CosmicGathering.com. Consults are available in person, on phone or via Skype.
Ellie Note: Any advertisements inserted below this article are chosen by WordPress to support their free blogs and I’m okay with that. Yet I have no control over what they choose. The ads do not represent me or my works. Thanks!